Read about everything that pisses me the hell off.

Monday, November 15, 2004

So much to rant about.. So little time to Rant

It's Monday

It's 1PM

I came in late, I just finished lunch at my desk. I just finished my "allotted" work for the day.

Time for a rant.

Thing is, I was sitting here trying to drum up all the angst, bitterness and cynicism that I could, and instead of one thing, several events from the weekend kept flashing back to me, all equally pissing me off. That either means I had a shitty weekend, or there are way too many things going on that piss me off. So in tribute to the variety shows of old, I offer you a smattering of bitterness on several topics.

Do unto others...
A concept I believe most of us are familiar with and some of us take as a good philosophy for life regardless of religious beliefs. It's a primary tenant in my own programming, mostly put there by my Father, along with such other antiquated concepts such as Honor, Honesty, and Chilvary. A relic from the past? Possibly. Regardless, it seems that as the years march on past, living by the tenet of Do Unto others gets harder and harder, because well, the second part of that, As you would have others do unto you.. never seems to come back in the same amounts does it? Nice Guys finish last seems a much more appropriate saying for the times? What the hell am I rambling about? Bottom line. My bitterness and cynicism were increased yet again this weekend as well as my faith in human kind in general diminished.

Sorry Everyone...
What is all this apologetic leftism about? "We're sorry world. We tried" So, now the elections in the United States are no longer about electing a president who will keep the interests of home in mind? Instead we have some retarded responsibility to mollify the rest of the world?! And what REST of the WORLD are we speaking to? France and Germany? I think if someone told my grandparents 50 years ago that France and Germany would be united in ANYTHING they would have laughed. Now, we're supposed to make them feel better? What about Great Britain? What about Australia? What about Japan? What about all the other countries who have our back and appreciate what is done and what they are doing for us? The people of the United States have spoken and elected their leader.. What gives those who lost the right to apologize for MY actions? What happened to Majority rules? What happened to losing gracefully? What happened to disagreeing like a gentleman(or gentlelady) and at the end of a fight shaking hands over a well fought contest and an agreement to disagree? What happened to embracing difference of opinion and using those differences to hammer out a better tomorrow? And why in God's name do I, at 30, sound like my GRANDFATHER did when he was 60?!?!

Traffic...
Is it a Pittsburgh thing to not be capable of driving? Is it a Pittsburgh oddity that idiots drive in the left hand lane, going 10 miles an hour under the speed limit when there is a perfectly acceptable spot for them in the right lane? Is it a Pittsburgh quirk that every accident, construction barrel, pot hole, broken down car, biker with an extra finger, man with tinsel around his neck and trucker taking a nap must be studied with the same care that a Doctor studies an Xray of a broken leg, thus causing a 20 mile back up so that everyone can toss in their two cents? Is it a Pittsburgh eccentricity that for some reason all cars must break before entering a tunnel and then again before exiting, thus causing another 20 mile backup so grandpa doesn't get eaten by the tunnel monster? Is there an above average competitive nature in Pittsburgh that causes people to cut you off in the "grand race about town" so that they can be that ONE car length in front of you and make sure that you are behind them? Or do I just need medication to help me calm down in Traffic?

Medication...
Why is it that everyone needs to be medicated? What happened to people being strong and dealing with things and coming out a better person? Now we have pills to make us less happy, less sad, less hyper, more even, less even, remember more, help us forget, calm us down, get us pumped up... Is there something wrong with me that I don't NEED pills to do this? Am I some rare breed of throwback that is able to handle life as it comes at him, one day at a time, deal with the shit that's piled onto me and then march on to meet another day head first with possibly a lesson learned? I just don't understand it. To look at the big picture and add it all up, it looks to me like some grand conspiracy. Keep the populace dumb, drugged and complacent and they are easier to control that way. Aliens? Ilumaniti? Communists? Big Brother? No, I'm not paranoid, I just recognize patterns. The pattern I'm seeing develop isn't one I like, conspiracy or not.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it weren't, everyone would do it."
So I'm watching A League of Their Own on Friday and this quote comes up near the end (I'm a sucker for baseball movies.. girls or guys being the players). Billy Dugan is saying it to Dotty Henson as she's running away from the game to be with her husband complaining that it's just too hard. When did we go from being a society that believed things like this to a society of people who now believe that if it's too hard that it's not fair? Not everyone can do everything no matter what your mom tells you when you are four. I'm never going to be a gymnast. At 6'5/270lbs that was NEVER going to happen for me no matter how hard I tried. Sure.. maybe I could have been a line backer or NHL defenseman, but that wasn't in my cards either. It's not for most people. "It's supposed to be hard." Not everyone can do it. Disappointment and failure are the things that keep us going through life and trying harder. Disappointment and failure are what force us to strive to get better. Disappointment and failure, while being shitty emotions to feel are GOOD emotions to experience. If everyone can do it, then it isn't special is it?

I suppose that's enough for today.

Keep rockin on kids.

Until the next rant.

Your friendly neighborhood Yeti


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?